Saturday, September 14, 2024

The False Fall


Such trickery Mother Nature has played on us recently. The morning air was crisp and clean with a crystal clear view of twinkling stars, and at night the windows were left open to let in the breeze. Daytime chores outdoors were enjoyable without the prickly sweat and humidity that usually lingers. Two days ago for two days it was indeed Fall. Oh such a precious prelude.... I can't wait.

The garden has been getting constant herb trimmings to use in cooking, drying, and medicine making. A first batch of fire cider has been started. I will strain in a month and then add the honey then. Colds are already making there way around, and being brought into the home.

Into the jars they go. I recycle all the glass jars I come across and have quite a cabinet full. Such a pretty view of trees from my kitchen window. I usually see birds, squirrels, rats, and crows outside this window as I work. The animals love eating the dogfood from the bowls I put there for the dogs. I'm keeping the cider in the pantry in a cool dry dark space to percolate. 

In hopes and dreams for the cool crop season, I purchased seeds on Amazon. Almost everything needs to be grown in pots with brought in soil. Some girls get flowers, I'm kept happy with buckets of dirt and rescue plants. This garden has really come a long way from its humble beginnings.

Today I was busy filling these buckets with soil. I layered the bottom half with sticks and compost items then the rest with soil , think I've heard it called lasagna layering.  Here I'm growing turnips, radish, spinach, mustard greens, collards, kale, brussels sprouts and broccoli. Another section will have a salad bed and carrots.

The herb spiral has gotten yet another trim of oregano, sage, mint, chocolate mint, and pineapple mint. I personally love to put chocolate mint in my hibiscus tea its refreshing. The herbs dry pretty quickly once brought in the kitchen and hung to dry, then jarred up for the Apothecary.

This boneset just popped up and started growing out of nowhere. I was going to collect some and then heard a buzzing by my head as I walked by. The tiny flowers are so fragrant and the bees were having a ball collecting pollen and floating about, I think I'll wait a few days till they had there fill , till I harvest a bit.

Newman Abracadaver resides in the patch keeping an eye on the garden happenings and creatures. I had high hopes for a pumpkin patch this year. A part of the front of the yard was sectioned off with a frame made from one of our old pools from when we first moved here. First I dropped pumpkin seeds in straight soil, that didn't work its mostly sand. I'm growing Marigolds in the plastic pumpkin buckets.

The pack of seeds came with a pumpkin packet. I dropped buckets ground level and filled them with soil, in hopes they would grow up and out the buckets and spread. Vine borers have already taken a few plants out by living in the stems of the vine. Let's see how the need seeded packets does.

The grandson helping with the garden chores chatting it up with Newman. He seems to like Halloween and spooky decor by his reactions in the store when we go through the holiday isles. This guy is happiest exploring outdoors and being a little helper. It's amazing to immerse into toddlerhood again.

This preciosa right her is our granddaughter. She already interacts with her personality, and we cant wait to watch her grow into her own person of wonder. Time fly's by so fast, I feel like I just graduated high school, and started my own family, but that was really a span of 26-25 years ago. Now here I am, still raising my family and helping tend to the branches which are the richest fruits.

1 comment:

  1. You have wonderful things growing in your garden, Holly. And that's fun that your grandson loves to explore outside - there are many interesting things for a boy to see out there. Your mint herbs sound nice for teas. I love mint too. The white flowers are delicate and pretty. Your cider in the jars sounds good for the colds. I hope everyone gets well soon. And a cute picture of you and the little one. Keep trying to grow those pumpkins. You do well in your garden, and I know one day they will sprout up and surprise you. ; )

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete