Monday, January 27, 2020

Days In The Garden ~ Emergence


We are almost out of January and I already have garden news to report for 2020. Spring like days intertwined with rain have brought me surprises when I go to clean out the scraggly garden beds for this years green goodness. Do you day dream through the cold days about the emergence of a new garden or blooms on warmer days? My aloe has bloomed and produced pups on the under layer which I have repotted.


Carrot tops! I may have spilled seeds or sown them and forgotten, but here they are. Just a few are here but I'll let them be till picking time then plant a different crop. Irony ... they are fertilized with bunny poop. Peter Rabbit will be put at bay when our back fence gets built (hopefully).


Beware the zombies are scratching through the grave. Let me tell you the patience I  have
  watching asparagus ferns grow and weather to have these purple topped spears greet me randomly. Well worth it drizzled in olive oil, seasoning, and lemon zest, I tend think of food in it's many stages.


 Store bought chives or green onions are chopped for meals and I leave an inch above the root intake. You can put them in water or direct soil and they will continue to grow. Soon I will not have to purchase anymore and will just crop and chop.


Strawberry blooms in January, surprise! Mother Nature is in quit a state indeed. Last years plants are in a few pots, but the yield was low. But alas I have a grand idea up my sleeve. We all love strawberries here. 


These pallets are the future "Strawberry Fields Forever" site. I'm going vertical folks. Walmart has 10 roots for $3.00  bags so I bulked up. The pallet backs need to be covered and soil filled, then we will put the plants in. Fingers crossed this method is fruitful.


Welcome to "Herb'n Legends" herb spiral. So far we have Rosemary, Oregano, Sage, Chives, Basil, and Mint. Many more to come. The bees and butterflies are already fluttering over to check it out. I'm really enjoying my time here in the garden while it's still cool, the mosquitos and fire ants haven't made their return yet.

Green Blessings to you in your seasonal transitions.





2 comments:

  1. Your garden is coming along nicely, Holly. Soon, you will have many surprises to greet you. The strawberries will be so nice. And I love your "herb and legends" little garden. That's cool. Mint tea sounds good to me. : ) Enjoy your wonderful garden Holly. The earth teaches us many things. And I'm glad you take the time to appreciate and learn. : )

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seeing the garden start to grow in the spring is always exciting! And I have to agree about enjoying garden work before the full blast of summer! I love your herb spiral and have to say that's a great tip about the chives.

    ReplyDelete