Friday, March 8, 2019

Seeds of Intention

I cannot contain my excitement for Springs return. A random trip to The Home Depot resulted in us bringing home garden building material and seeds. Back in Cali I would just drops seeds and plants willy nilly in hopes they would grow. Some success with that method was attained but now we are in a whole new environment all together. We went from being Northerners to Southerners. Moving  here to Texas  we are expanding on the true homesteading lifestyle . I've been studying via The Old Farmer's Almanac, homesteader videos on Youtube, which will eventually immerse me into homesteading blogs. Albeit slow we are educating ourselves and pacing the projects to start up. In actuality we have many builds and projects in  process. You would think we would finish one before we start another , but out here the rigidness of quick completion has changed. I can actually proclaim that I take life slower but more intentional...I heard a rumor that country life will do that to your soul, if you open up and let it in.
Not all are plants are started from seed packets. I'm experimenting with the method of slicing tomato's and tomatillo's , dropping them in soil and covering them up. When they sprout hopefully there will be a high yield that we can transplant into the garden.
I've purchased a variety of pepper seeds, but also wanted to see if this method would work for them as well. Many vegetables I bought from the store like, bokchoy, garlic, ginger, chives and potatoes with eyes, have been dispersed around outdoor in hopes of successful plantings.
February 20th I got down to the business of filling trays with soil, labeling plastic cutlery, and dropping seeds. The trays are currently in the laundry room because weather has been on the colder side. I leave the light on for them which seems to work because the sprouts are leaning to the sun through the window throughout the day then upright at night.
These potted plants have survived outdoors on my elevated potting table. There's a pineapple, random succulents and rosemary. Some seeds in pots unlabeled, if they sprout it will be a great surprise.
There are three bunches of Oregano planted in my little garden space outside the back of the house. The squirrels and birds habitat the forest but pretty much leave the ground herbs alone.
This lavender will need to be re potted soon. I cant wait to see what fragrant bloom this variety holds. I would love to have a mini lavender field. Soil and weather may have a determination in the success of that. Texas Hill Country is bountiful with lavender farms and festivals, and I would love to take a field trip and learn.
Here I have a little bit of  lemon balm.  I have also recently purchased three small pots of lemon balm which are big healthy plants that I'll combined together.


 Mint plant usually grows crazy but for some reason it just stays small in this potted space.  All these herbs have remained hardy during the last few nights of freeze we had . I really do need to study more to figure out how to grow in these conditions.
I love the fragrance smell of pineapples as I crush the sage between my fingers.  I think I'll experiment with adding it fresh sun tea made on the porch.
And we have sprouts! Being able to pick a whole salad from the garden to eat would be ideal. I started Mesculin Spicy Mix and Little Gem lettuce in the trays. I also have hydroponic artisan lettuce from the store.

These bean sprouts are Royalty Purple Pod Bush and I planted pinto beans from the store as well. I realize I have a lot of vining plants and will need to have trellis's , and arch full of flowers and greenery would be awesome.
A garlic clove from the store in potting mix. Last year I planted some outside but I think the pine needles mixed with sandy soil inhibited growth. Many containers and above ground boxes are necessary.
The garden fencing is almost done. The weather has been really cold and the Hubby has been working overtime so it will be completed soon. Excitement doesn't contain the sentiment for the feelings I already have for this garden and upcoming homestead adventures.

P.S. I took so long to compose this post that I will need to do an update post soon about what's growing on.

8 comments:

  1. There is a winery in Hill Country that also grows lavender and its wonderful!! You need to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Holly. You are really getting the growing thing down pat. Good for you. I will be anxious to see how some of those planting methods work for you. Have a wonderful week- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's nice to see you are enjoying gardening like you did in California, Holly. The garlic cloves will come in handy. I'm actually taking garlic right now, feeling under the weather. It has so many health benefits. The mint plant is pretty. Maybe you can make some mint tea. I can't wait to see the lavender. Keep gardening, Holly. We learn things from the earth. : )

    love, ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm extremely jealous of your oregano and lemon balm. Yum! Everything looks so good and promising, especially the sprouts! Speaking of sprouts, I wonder if the tomatoes and peppers are mature enough for the seed to sprout. Can't wait to see what time tales!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you Holly! You are doing brilliant! Everything so far looks amazing! Getting dirty with mother earth, does the soul good! I can't wait to get outside and start to garden again! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you all have done a lot in just the short time that you've been on your land. I am so excited for your garden and hope everything grows perfectly and wonderfully for you.

    We have only managed to get two rose bushes planted and tiny bit of the back yard raked up. But we have some nice gardening plans this year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am impressed. I don't think Ive met anyone who knows as much about this subject as you do. You are truly well informed and very intelligent. You wrote something that people could understand and made the subject intriguing for everyone. Really, great blog you have got here. mimosa x orange punch

    ReplyDelete