Monday, February 13, 2017

As The River Rises









The weather this Sunday was splendid with sunshine and a hint of spring. We decided to take a family date to celebrate Valentines to our own downtown a.k.a. "Old Sacramento". Due to the constant rain the rivers are rising and creeping precariously close to history. The old city flooded out in 1850, 1852, and 1862 which lead to the whole town being elevated. As my feet absorb the cobblestone and my footsteps creak the planks I'm back to the Wild West and transcend into a bygone era. We discovered a bit of history along our excursion which I will share in future post. 

6 comments:

  1. I love the tone of reverence I hear in your words, as you share this city you love with us. The images tell a very clear story. And your words brighten the details.

    Can't wait to read the history discovery. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holly, these are cool pictures. I know that yellow bridge well. I took a pic of it myself last time I was in the area. Old Sac is a fun place to spend your Valentine's Day. I didn't know it flooded out those years. Oh, I must get back to that charming town soon. Can't wait to see more pics.

    Happy Valentine's Day to a wonderful person.

    love, ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful photos. Sounds like you had a wonderful day!
    diane @ thoughts&shots

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great day!!! I love the photos! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As usual, I am envious of your photos and a bit envious of your excursion down history lane! I love exploring an area and learning its history. Hoping after my surgery and recovery, I will be able to do more of that myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. so so crazy! Praying for all the families!

    ReplyDelete