Even though it's winter and cold outside, I've been craving this tropical iced drink. Tepache is a traditional Mexican fresca made by fermenting pineapple. The recipe and method is easy to do and the end result is a refreshing drink.
1 pineapple, 5-9 cloves, 1 cinnamon stick, 3/4 cups brown sugar, pitcher of water
- cut the rind off of the pineapple, set aside
- chop the pineapple flesh into small cubes
- add all rind , half of the pineapple chunks, cinnamon stick, cloves and brown sugar to the pitcher
- fill the pitcher with fresh water and cover
- let the Tepache ferment for 48 hrs
- strain into a glass filled with ice and enjoy